The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Eight to ten years of experience in accounting management, and a proven ability to help direct reports develop professionally.
- Experience with project accounting & control and / or fixed asset management is strongly preferred; you should have some familiarity with capital expenses, depreciation, etc.
- Familiarity with controls and rules; you don't need to be a master technician, but you will need to understand them and, in some cases, implement them.
- Experience in organizations subject to Sarbanes-Oxley regulations is preferred, and experience with the implementation of SOX processes and / or controls would be ideal.
- A process-oriented mindset, including the ability to see the bigger picture and grasp process flow.
- Familiarity with ERP and accounting systems; experience with system implementations is a plus.
- The ability to:
- Oversee the submission of accurate project reports for multiple significant construction projects in a timely manner.
- Make effective presentations on complex issues under the control and management of this position.
- Leverage strong analytical skills to synthesize business/financial data as appropriate.
- Proactively seek to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes and procedures as part of a continuous improvement program.
- Gaming / hospitality industry experience is preferred but not required.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a diverse array of internal and external contacts.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to achieve goals independently.
The RoleReporting to the Vice President, Accounting, you will provide direction for two teams: Project Accounting includes a Senior Manager, several Senior Project Accountants, and several Staff Accountants. Fixed Assets includes a Fixed Assets Manager who oversees an outsourced group, based in Manila that processes the transactions.
Project Accounting supports all non-IT capital projects budgeted at over $250,000. Projects range from the installation of new plasma TVs throughout an entire property to construction projects of varying budgets. Most projects are managed by the Design & Construction (D&C) department, and you and your team will interact regularly with Project Managers and Project Accountants from D&C.
On larger projects the D&C Project Accountants handle day-to-day issues. Project Accounting monitors project progress, investigates variances, approves certain payments, ensures project billings are issued, records costs into the general ledger, and presents project information in financial reporting. On smaller projects, Project Accounting may also handle day-to-day activities. This team also is responsible for ensuring that spending is properly capitalized or expensed, and for ensuring the timely and accurate capitalization of capital projects.
Your longer-term objectives for Project Accounting will include:
- Building and enhancing accounting knowledge among the team to ensure their understanding extends beyond construction, so that they apply their construction knowledge in a firm context. For example, you'll coach them on capitalizing interest on larger projects.
- Ensuring we have best practices, appropriate rules, and controls in place.
- Coaching the team on providing a high level of customer service to D&C Project Managers and others, who can have very high expectations. This will include clarifying responsibilities between the two teams and ensuring both sides follow protocols.
- Identifying opportunities to automate and streamline processes; for example, we're currently implementing a module in our system to facilitate job cost reports and other processes.
- And more.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, the most prestigious resort in the world, is our flagship property. Among the resort's many amenities is The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, which hosts world-class stars such as Celine Dion, Jerry Seinfeld and Shania Twain.
Why CaesarsStrategic and tactical impact -- you will influence the strategic vision for Project Accounting and Fixed Assets moving forward, and we've already mentioned several areas in which you will drive improvements. We're also looking at right-sizing Project Accounting, which has plenty of work! The diversity of challenges in this role means you will broaden your skills and experience.
Broad exposure -- a pivotal part of this will be to manage relationships with other groups, both internal and external. In addition to working with D&C, you will interact with contacts in Property Reporting and Consolidated Reporting here in corporate, as well as with Directors of Finance and other contacts at the individual properties. You'll also work with joint venture partners.
High visibility -- development represents the future of our organization, and many of the projects you and your team will support have the attention of senior leaders. In addition, the larger projects are part of the public image of Caesars, and are discussed at SEC conferences and other venues. Once you have proven yourself in this role you might take your career at Caesars in any of a number of directions. In fact, this role is open because the incumbent is pursuing a new opportunity within our company.
Great environment -- you'll join an upbeat team of good people. You'll be busy, no doubt about it, and there will be the usual number of "fires" to put out. But at the end of the day, you and your team can ride the elevator down, emerge into a world where guests are enjoying their time away from the cares of the world, and have a celebratory drink. After all, energy, excitement and entertainment are what make Caesars Entertainment Corporation the leader in the hotel and casino industry.
Diversity and stability -- our portfolio includes such well-respected brands as Caesars, Harrah's, Horseshoe, Bally's, Flamingo, Paris, Planet Hollywood, Rio and Showboat. We operate casinos in the US, United Kingdom, Egypt and South Africa, as well as several golf clubs in the U.S. and China. This diversified international profile (along with $8.8 billion in revenues) gives us the stability to continue growing and thriving. In fact, Horseshoe Casino Cleveland (pictured), Ohio's first full-service casino, recently celebrated its first anniversary.
A higher standard -- Caesars Entertainment's Code of Commitment governs its relationships with its casino guests, employees and the communities where Caesars Entertainment's resorts are located. We also have guidelines for advertising and marketing practices on a national, regional and local basis. With these two measures, the company sets a higher standard for accountability in its dealings with its employees, customers, and communities.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental and vision coverage; a 401(k) plan; and more. Our corporate headquarters features an employee dining room offering free lunches.
Why Las VegasLas Vegas is a great place for professionals and families of all types.
If you enjoy the energy and excitement of world-class entertainment -- shows, dining, shopping and more -- then you are already a Las Vegas resident at heart. But there is much more to Las Vegas than The Strip.
Living in Las Vegas, you can expect to find lots of sunshine and warm temperatures. The average low temperature is 56 degrees F. and the average high is 80 degrees F, with summer highs near 90-100. There are fun things to do in the area all year, including parks, golf courses and pools. Nearby, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and the Valley of Fire State Park (the park's Elephant Rock is pictured) are sites to behold, and both locations provide the opportunity to hike and explore our natural environment and heritage.
Las Vegas also offers 31 outstanding performance venues. In addition to the performing arts offerings on the Las Vegas Strip, the Las Vegas Philharmonic and the Nevada Ballet Theatre, two cultural institutions and mainstays on the Las Vegas performing arts scene, have been redefining the quality of life in the area.
Beyond recreation, there are 64 elementary schools, 15 middle schools, and 10 high schools in the area, and Southern Nevada is quickly gaining a reputation for its wide array of educational offerings, as well as for employment opportunities in the educational field. Las Vegas is also home to 29 specialty and full-service hospitals and major medical facilities, many of which opened in recent years, including some addressing key specialties with the latest in high-tech equipment.
With a lower-than-average cost of living index, it's less expensive to live in the Las Vegas area than in many other places in the country, and there is no state income tax. It's no wonder Las Vegas was the fastest growing city in the United States in the last decade!
source: http://www.consumeropinionservices.com/lasvegas/aboutvegas.html. Photo by Lilybay.
Keys to SuccessYour accounting knowledge will be essential, of course, but just as important will be your leadership and interpersonal skills. You'll be responsible for day-to-day performance, but you also will need the leadership mettle to prevent the daily urgencies from stopping you from driving incremental improvements. In addition, you'll need to "champion" Project Accounting and Fixed Assets. We'll look to you to take a proactive approach to building collaborative relationships with various departments in the organization..
You'll also help your people develop the professional finesse to manage relationships effectively. As you might imagine, a capital Project Manager in charge of a $200 million budget can have very high expectations. You'll ensure your people have a customer service approach to supporting Project Managers, as well as a diplomatic approach to managing expectations and clarifying responsibilities.
In addition, to be an outstanding Director, Project Accounting & Fixed Assets, you will bring a process orientation. You don't need to have the expertise of a business process analyst, but you should be able to envision the big picture in a logical way, as in a flow chart, including the goals, the steps and the details, and how they all inter-relate. With that understanding you should be able to identify opportunities to improve efficiency, address any gaps, etc.
About CaesarsCaesars Entertainment is focused on building loyalty and value with its customers through a unique combination of great service, excellent products, unsurpassed distribution, operational excellence and technology leadership. We concentrate on building loyalty and value for our customers, employees, business partners, and communities by being the most service-oriented, technology-driven, geographically-diversified company in gaming.
At Caesars Entertainment, over 70,000 employees each make a unique contribution to our guests' experiences, and to our ultimate success. From nurturing a sense of team with co-workers to improving the quality of life in their communities, Caesars sets the standard of excellence in the gaming industry with employees who are devoted to delivering truly great service. Our employees are critical to our success.
Environmental sustainability at Caesars Entertainment integrates strategic direction with the grass roots energy, innovation and passion of our 70,000 employees. In 2011 we announced a broad set of quantitative two-to-five-year sustainability goals. These include targets for carbon emissions reduction, energy conservation, renewable energy, alternative fuels, water consumption, waste diversion/recycling, LEED building standards and supply chain.
Pictured: Harrah's Resort Atlantic City. With its sophisticated marina setting and infinite roster of world-class resort amenities, Harrah's Resort has become the premiere Atlantic City destination, boasting the tallest hotel tower and so much non-stop action, our guests wish their stays could last a lifetime.